Portugal Tech League
Last updated: August 18, 2021.
Portugal Tech League
Avenida Duque de Loulé 12 – 6º
- Our website and social media channels;
- Contributions sent by people to PTL Policy-Making topics via form or email;
- Signining and sharing of PTL Position Papers;
- PTL podcasts;
- Online surveys relating to the ecosystem and our Programs;
- Promotion of events.
2. What is personal data?
Personal data is any information, of whatever nature and whatever its medium, including sound and image, concerning an identified or identifiable natural person (“data subject”).
An identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to other factors specific to his/her physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity.
3. Information we collect
When we provide the Services, we collect and receive information in several different ways. In many cases, you choose what information to provide, although some information is required for us to provide you with the Services.
3.1 Directly from you
We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly, such as:
- Website contact forms: When you contact us through our website for inquiries, contributions to policy-making discussions, signing and/or sharing our Position Papers, or registering for our newsletter, you must provide us with basic information such as your name and email address. Being an information service provider for the digital ecosystem and European policy-makers, you might be asked to inform the organization you represent, your position, and the country where you’re based, for the sake of public transparency and accountability.
- Surveys: We may ask you to participate in the ecosystem, policy-related surveys regarding your perspective on the topics being explored.
3.2 From your browser or device
We automatically collect certain information from your browser or device when you use certain Services or read a message from us. For example, we collect:
- Data regarding the device you are using, such as what devices you use to access the Service; logs will be recorded by our servers based on the information sent from your app or browser;
- Information automatically as you navigate through the site using cookies and other tracking technologies;
- Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP address and location, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
3.3 From others
This is information we receive that you do not directly provide when you use the Services. We get it from other users of the Services, third-party services we use to provide the Services, from information we collect and from our partners and vendors. We collect this information through:
- Your social media accounts: Such as the number of followers you have on your LinkedIn account
- Third party platforms: We get information about you from third-party partners including those carrying out market research, company research and lead generation services. For example, we may collect information about your professional role, professional and academic experience, and your contact information from such sources.
4. Purposes and Legal bases for processing your information
We use your information in order to provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
As a Controller, Portugal Tech League website processes your data for the following purposes and on the following legal grounds:
- when we have a legitimate interest. This is applicable when the interest is not overridden by your data protection interests;
- Communicating with you: We use your personal information to contact you to inform and present new topics and calls to action that might be relevant for you, to notify you of any changes to our policies and practices, for events purposes, and to respond to any requests or inquiries you may submit to us.
- Provide, develop and improve the Services: We process your information as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests in improving the Program and our other Services. For example, we may use your information to conduct data analysis across our Services.
- Website management : We process your information in accordance with our legitimate interests of marketing the Services to you.
- when necessary to provide you with the Services (performance of a contract);
- Providing and improving the requested Services: We use your personal information as necessary to run our Services, such as to register program attendees, facilitate information sharing with partners with whom you have consented for us to share information, and provide you with relevant connections and content based on this information.
- where you have consented to the processing, which you may withdraw at any time;
- Marketing: If you opt-in to receiving marketing communications from us, we will use your personal information for outreach and marketing to communicate our policy efforts. You can opt-out of these communications by using the unsubscribe links in our communications. We may also use your information in order to market the Program. For example, we sometimes use your image in our published list of Program attendees. If you want to object to this use, please contact us here at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- when necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation such as:
- Management of tender procedures;
- Document archiving;
- Compulsory insurance contracting;
- Mandatory communications to public authorities;
- Compliance with other legal or regulatory obligations.
5. Sharing with third parties
- When we need to comply with applicable laws and requests: When we believe that sharing your personally identifiable information with third-party is required to comply with applicable law, regulation or request by a government entity, to protect ourselves, our users or others from harm or illegal actions, to respond to an emergency that threatens a person, to fulfil your support requirements and/or to generally protect the security and integrity of the Service.
- Service Providers: We may share your personal information with third-party service providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. These third parties provide us with services such as data hosting, e-mail delivery, testing, analytics, support infrastructure, and other areas. The use of these services requires the relevant third party to access or use personally identifiable information about you. These third parties are contractually required to use it only to provide their service to us, and prohibited from using it for their own purposes.
- Business reorganisation: In instances where we are subject to a reorganisation, such as a merger or acquisition of some or all of its assets, we may, in accordance with our legitimate interests, need to share information in the course of the transaction. In such circumstances, your information may be disclosed, where permitted by applicable law, in connection with such corporate restructuring, sale, or assignment of assets, merger, or other changes of control or financial status.
- Aggregated information: We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, such as program attendee job titles with companies we do business with.
When we use subcontractors in the above-described situations, technical and organisational measures are adopted in order to ensure that these entities offer the highest guarantees, which are duly established and contractually provided for..
6. Data retention
Your information will be stored until (A) you send us a written objection to us, (B) 10 (ten) years from the date of collection or more if a specific legal requirement is applicable, or (C) 2 (two) years from the date of collection when the data is collected under a human resources application through our Site.
Whenever there is no specific legal requirement, the data will be stored and kept only for the minimum period necessary for the purposes that motivated their collection or their subsequent processing, after which they will be deleted.
7. Data transfers
We collect information globally and primarily store that information in the United States on our own servers and that of our service providers as part of providing the Services. User data processing may involve disclosure to third parties or information storage in countries outside the territory of the European Union which may have different data privacy standards and protections than those which apply to your home country. We transfer your personal information in accordance with law, and take steps to ensure that your information is appropriately protected.
Data transfers outside the European Economic Area will be subject to appropriate safeguards in accordance with applicable law, with PTL committing itself to carry out only necessary transfers and to entities that guarantee the adoption of adequate technical and organisational measures.
8. Acceptable Use Content
Since Portugal Tech League is a project characterized by the production of content also based on third party, secondary sources, it is important to explicitly safeguard the following terms constitute our “Acceptable Use Policy”:
- You agree not to use the Site to collect and transmit any Content (i) that violates any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; (ii) that is in violation of any law, regulation, or obligations or restrictions imposed by any third party.
9. Your rights
Besides your total freedom to share PTL content, personal data subjects have the following rights:
- Access: The data subject has the right to obtain from PTL confirmation as to whether or not their personal data are subject to processing, and if so, the right to access them and the following information: i) purposes of the processing, ii) categories of data, iii) categories of recipients, iv) retention period, if applicable, v) the origin of data, vi) existence of automated decisions.
- Rectification: The data subject has the right to obtain, without justified delay, the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her.
- Erasure: The data subject has the right to obtain the erasure of his/her personal data when: i) the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, ii) the data subject has withdrawn his/her consent, iii) the data subject has objected to the processing, iv) the processing is unlawful.
- Limitation: The data subject has the right to obtain the limitation of the processing of his or her data if: i) he or she contests their accuracy, during the period enabling PTL to verify their accuracy, ii) the processing is unlawful, iii) the data are no longer necessary for the purposes of the processing; iv) the data subject has exercised his or her right to object.
- Opposition: The data subject has the right to object to the processing of data that is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or for the purposes of the legitimate interests of PTL. In such case, we may only continue to process the personal data in question if it provides compelling legitimate reasons overriding the interests, rights and freedoms of the data subject or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- Withdraw consent: The data subject has the right to withdraw consent previously given, at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
- Portability: The data subject has the right to receive personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and the right to transmit such data to another entity when: i) the processing is based on consent or a contract, and ii) the processing is carried out by automated means.
- Lodge a complaint: The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, which, in Portugal, is Comissão Nacional de Proteção de Dados (CNPD) (https://www.cnpd.pt/).
The security of your personal information is important to us. Through Portugal Tech League, Beta-i incorporates in its processes, in a logic of continuous improvement, administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to preserve the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the personal data processed, guarantying that all appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk were implemented. Despite these measures, the Internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed, in certain situations external to our control.
11. How can you stop the use of Personal data belonging to you for direct marketing?
You can stop direct marketing communications by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you, or by emailing us at: email@example.com. We will then stop any further emails. Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
13. Contact Us
Portugal Tech League
Avenida Duque de Loulé 12 – 6º